"She refused to be bored, chiefly because she wasn't boring." Zelda Fitzgerald

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Coffee Break Breakfast


Made some lovely muffins yesterday...had to make some for a ladies breakfast event (MOPS) and so I used the excuse to try out three new recipes in one whack. Made carrot/currant spice muffins, allspice streusel muffins and then my new favorite, coffee break muffins. MMmmm....coffee somehow becomes extra yummy when you're pregnant and its on the restricted or complete taboo list. I'm not normally a coffee drinker, happily for A who avoids stringently in favor of drug-free purity. We don't even own a coffee maker so, any coffee I end up having is usually a special Starbucks treat drink. It has not been terribly helpful that we live right around the corner from a drive-thru Starbucks.

I tell people now that I never really understood why parents insisted that coffee kept them going....UNTIL I had two children. I get it. And friends, I was a stringent caffeine avoider with my first pregnancy and almost pure with Dee but this time around there have been mornings when I have made a beeline for that Starbucks with crossed eyes, knowing that if I didn't get a little coffee somehow, I'd never make it through using sharp knives, operating cars and other bits of daily parental life. I still am not by any means even a cup a day drinker but, I understand the value of the occasional upper and I've developed quite the taste for the flavor of our zippy star ingredient.

For those who are on their first child still....or morally object (like A)...you can of course use decaffeinated coffee in this recipe and look, they even sell decaf espresso powder. And that's what I used. Ahem. *cough cough*

But, seriously...these are really good. I like them best warm, split and spread generously with butter, eaten with a mug of milk. Very tasty and comforting. This comes to you from the fabulous Dorie Greenspan's excellent book Baking: From My Home To Yours.

Coffee-Break Muffins

2 c. of all purpose flour
1/3 c. of sugar
1 T. instant espresso powder
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1/3 c. (packed) light brown sugar
1 c. strong coffee, cooled
1 stick of melted butter, cooled
1 large egg
1/2 t. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Whisk together the dry ingredients, then add the liquids and whisk everything together quickly until well combined. A few lumps are better than overmixed batter. Divide evenly between muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until a thin knife comes out clean. Transfer to a rack and cool for five minutes before removing from muffin tin for eating! Yum!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment