"She refused to be bored, chiefly because she wasn't boring." Zelda Fitzgerald

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Apple Pieces

Apple season looms. I keep thinking about getting back to apple cake making and wondering if today will be the day that it sounds like a good idea. So far, no dice really. It is still warm and the sun is (as Suess says) "still sunny" so the oven has mostly stayed off and I haven't even felt inspired enough about the topic to dig through my recipes for untried options. No, not even A's incredibly kind aunt soliciting my best contender yet encouraged me to get out my binder and have a look-see. Am a genuine inspiration swamp about it. (So sorry Aunt A!!! I promise I'll get that recipe to you soonish!)

I do think about it though and still believe in the idea heartily. The best apple cake recipe on earth has to be found. It has to be a classic cake...it has to be soft and has to be thick with apples and spices and it must, must, must be moist and delicious.

Going home, I realized that part of why the apple bug is so deep in me is because I without a doubt come from a land of apple paradise. There are apple trees, wild, abandoned,  forgotten, thriving, loaded, glowing apple trees on almost every tract of untended land...most houses seem to have an apple tree.
One of my paintings, "Four Apple Glow"

Plato represents to us that in the old days the apple was a symbol of love and tossing one to a person you fancied was a symbolically deep offer of affection.
"I throw the apple at you, and if you are willing to love me, take it and share your girlhood with me; but if your thoughts are what I pray they are not, even then take it, and consider how short-lived is beauty."
PlatoEpigram VII[21]
I had to have an apple tree at our new house, it is a deeply connected home-piece for me. Apple trees mean peace, familiarity and utility and even on some level a kind of whimsical mystery. I know Eve didn't really eat an apple but I think about it anyhow, and Avalon, the land of Arthur had nothing to do with apples, the name just means "apple land" but it somehow still feels important...I even think about the old name for the tomato "love apple" when I find myself in an orchard and smile to myself thinking that it sounds right.I think it is not for without reason that I feel really home now that I have made my own sauce and feel that if I need to have a good cry, a mug of cider is one of the best companions. Aphrodite and I like our apples.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment