"She refused to be bored, chiefly because she wasn't boring." Zelda Fitzgerald

Monday, June 13, 2011

The Garden Grows

It is the season of the garden. I'm weeding and mulching and watering and the plants are all changing so fast that there's a heady rush every single morning from running out to see what they all look like this morning. One day this week there was the first tomato blossom and then there was a little marble of green tomato, another day I noticed that the climbing beans were up and out of the soil, gazing hungrily at the teepee above them. I haven't been out yet this morning, who knows what I'll find!





I have been picking up bags of grass clippings on the curb when I think of it and spreading them around all the baby plants. I've been laying down red plastic mulch around the tomato plants and I am starting to sidedress my little baby corn plants. I'd love to get a good load of compost so that I can really treat all the green things to a good vitamin boost. We'll see how that goes. It is harder than it seems like it should be to garden without a truck. Someday I'm going to get one and then I can haul my own everything.

The next thing I need to do is build a trellis for the morning glories and the clematis, and then stake the tomatoes, quick! I just got an email from the beekeeper who is raising the start of my bee colony and he said that we can pick up the girls anytime this week! Woohoo! Am suddenly giddy and also intimidated. I've been waiting for this particular week for 8 years. A little bit of pressure anyone?


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment