"She refused to be bored, chiefly because she wasn't boring." Zelda Fitzgerald

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Bait n' Tackle

I have been meaning to be a mama who takes her boys fishing F.O.R.E.V.E.R. and yet have not been managing to get around to it.



I think it's intimidating to my internal self to single-handedly teach the boys this activity that was such a boisterous and well-loved, whole-family affair for me and my siblings. Sometimes I find myself dragging my heels about showing my kids things that were really special to me in my childhood like this. I feel like its partly about the weight of "doing it right" with them so that they really "get" the coolness of what I am sharing. It also feels like a little fear of rejection.


Sharing the things you love with your kids is kind of intimidating. Kids are wicked honest, not interesting in ego-stroking and also prone to verbal karate chops. What if they don't like it? What if I can't handle the logistics of showing them how? What if its not as cool as I remember and the boys look as me blankly and shrug and nothing is ever the same as it was the way I remember when I was 10?


And then suddenly I've been meaning to and not getting around to it for years and I have a gangly seven year old son and carpe diem comes and kicks me in the tush.



So, I bought a mess of oysters, a fishing license (salt and fresh water, what the heck!) and a bobber for each boy. Time to make things happen and live deep. May this be the summer of iridescent scales and salt water in the air, fresh buttered dill and tender flaky fillets! Wish me luck as I teach three boys to cast at once! I may need it!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment