"She refused to be bored, chiefly because she wasn't boring." Zelda Fitzgerald

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Discovering Similes At Night


So, pretty much every night after the kids are "supposed to be in bed" we have one of those shouting-down-the-hallway-in-the-dark conversations with Ru. I hate them. So annoying...such a stalling technique. Why do they not just go to sleep? Take for instance, this little snippet of dialogue from last night.
"Mommy?"
"What Ru?"
"Will you make me breakfast?"
"Yes, in the morning. Go to sleep!"
"I love you Mommy!"
"I love you too, sleep now."
"Daddy? Will you keep me safe?"
"Yes, Ru...I will. Goodnight!"
*silence*
(maybe he's asleep!)
"Mommy?"
(crap) "Yes Ru?" *sigh*
"Do you know how much I love you Mommy?"
*me pausing, smiling in the dark*
"How much Ru?"
"Mommy, I love you just like a bee loves a flower!"
"I'm so glad Ru! I'll see you in the morning."

*melt melt melt melt melt melt* 

I love it when my kids catch me off guard in sweet ways. Counter-acts all the times when I wind up sobbing and completely disheveled, heaving into A's shoulder, "I don't know how to do this parenting thing!" and suddenly, everything is worth it and the world is absolutely okay.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment