"She refused to be bored, chiefly because she wasn't boring." Zelda Fitzgerald

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Decorative Peace

California is lovely. I am enjoying the sun and the local avocados and the palm trees but I think the biggest win this week is the disruption.




It's so useful, instructive and clarifying to step out of our normal life and live in neutral, observing ourselves. We are staying in a simple but elegant condo unit, wearing a week's clothes and possessing little in the way of "stuff" for entertainment or daily use. It's f.a.b.u.l.o.u.s!




Right before we came out here I had a minor meltdown with pouting and hair pulling and lots of ranting about how our house was always trashed and I hated the way it made me feel. Lockbox is a very understanding audience. (Many thanks for her sympathetic listening ear.)
And then, we visited relatives who we're showing their house for sale and had just had a professional stager come consult with them on the space. It was an amazing revelation. So much clean, open, simple space. I sat in their living room resolving to remember this and make changes at home.




Then the world shifted suddenly, and life tossed out to the West Coast for a one month retreat in a condominium.
I am so thrilled with my new simple life here. I can't wait to go home and downsize EVERYTHING! Books can come from the library. The Internet has all the recipes in the world, one vase will do for flowers, nobody needs four thousand toys, plungers and toilet brushes can live in cupboards instead of cluttering the bathroom floor, one set of fluffy towels feel lux and also manageable. Every little bit helps. I see a smaller, simpler life ahead of me.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment