"She refused to be bored, chiefly because she wasn't boring." Zelda Fitzgerald

Friday, June 21, 2013

Poetry Friday: A Candy Vision



Happy Poetry Friday! I wrote a poem today prompted by a photo I took on a recent visit to the humongous Times Square candy shop. Fun to play with the inspiration of an image and see what comes out. Sometimes it is more colorful than you might imagine.

Today you can find the other Poetry Friday contributors at Carol's Corner



Why I Don't Buy M&M's

In my childhood M&M candies were simple
There were primary colors in orderly tints:
Stolid blue, school bus yellow and sober red
Backed by stalwart chocolate brown in quantity.
Nothing too flagrant, reasonability being key.
Today on an impish whim we stepped inside
The giant candy store in Times Square: a Wonkan dream.
We were welcomed into an orchestra of color,
A world of sweet, magic pebbles in cosmic miser's piles
All colored like one thousand, thousand eyeshadow pots
Lush, gossipy shades of scandalous, blooming color
Tints I never dreamed of when I was seven years old.
They carry a blushing raspberry sorbet now and a soft lilac.
Creme de menthe green like popped collars and tennis skirts
And a soft dove grey to serve in milk glass like a Swedish dream.
I saw chartruese like a patch of sunlit grass in early April,
A mermaid blue like the lining of an elegant, silk glove
And a dark marooooon like red velvet cake at midnight.
I wanted to buy them all and carry them out into the night
Sit on a manhole cover in the starlight and finger the lot
Sift them through my fingers in a bright tic-tic-tic stream.
Then I would have clutched them warmly in my fists until
The colors dripped down my knuckles in decadent streams.
I'd have worn the shades down my cheeks like stage paint
All that delicious color in long stripes across my sternum
And slick lines down my thighs in a vibrant gloss.
And then I would have danced like Martha Graham
Extending my pointed toes and balancing upside down
Airily arching my neck in front of a gathering crowd.
 A private Cirque du Lune under streetlights.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment