"She refused to be bored, chiefly because she wasn't boring." Zelda Fitzgerald

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Cook Ahead Cape Cod


It is high summer and we are headed to Cape Cod for a small weekend away, (Ah, blissful place!) but we're also looking to save money. (Haha! On Cape Cod!) We have a motel room with a little refrigerator and a microwave, should something need re-heating, and I'm planning to do all the ahead cooking I can to save the restaurant bills and snacking stops one inevitably makes on these trips.

I want to be like Ma Ingalls, Mrs. Appleyard the Gilbreth Family...women in days of yore when they never left on a trip without a bursting hamper, full of all manner of good things for munching. That has to be doable, right?
I need ideas! What can I make ahead and pack in our cooler and then serve my family between dips in the sea? So far I've thought of:

  • Peach turnovers (we picked peaches this past weekend and THEN got peaches from our CSA)
  • Hard boiled eggs
  • A wedge of nice cheese
  • Carrot sticks
  • Peanut butter and honey sandwiches, sliced in little squares for snack or meals for little hands.
  • Steamed green beans from our garden, tossed with a little soy sauce
  • (your idea here)
  • (your idea here)
  • (your idea here)
  • (your idea here)
  • (your idea here)
  • (your idea here)
  • (your idea here)
  • (your idea here)
  • (your idea here)
So, what ya'll got? Throw me a brainstorm! I'm waiting, in my kitchen, wooden spoon in hand!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment