"She refused to be bored, chiefly because she wasn't boring." Zelda Fitzgerald

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My Autumn Food List

A few years ago I brainstormed the idea of a seasonal food list for the side of the fridge. The idea is to "keep in mind" visually all the cozy, traditional foods that we keep dreaming of when we long for Autumn. I also really love the fact that it does a tiny bit of keeping me on track with local/seasonal eating. No better way to check off "apple dumplings"  than to turn it into a trip to the Farmer's Market or the local orchard! Compiling the list is also a fun exercise in self-examination. What speaks Autumn to me personally? What traditional Fall foods are not compelling for me but seem culturally obligatory? Ha! Mental purging! Sometimes I have a particular food that I crave and love but I don't know what time of year it "fits" in so researching its seasonality (mussels in white wine sauce was one for me) ends up being a bite-sized education. I now know that mussels are in season in Autumn. 

The first year I drew up my lists it took up a little bit of my time....but now I just have all the lists saved on my computer and I just review the appropriate list, add or remove whatever seems right and hit PRINT. The list lives on the side of the fridge and I use it when planning menus for the week or dreaming up special dishes for company. Then I keep a pen handy for scratching things off as they show up on our table. So fun! Here's my Autumnal version....



Autumnal Food

Pear Tart
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Stuffed Figs
Cinnamon Pork Chops
Cheese with Apples
Mussels and Crusty French Bread
Oyster Mushrooms Fried with Bacon
Sausages w/ Caramelized Onions
Slow Roasted Ribs
Roast Quail
Apple Dumplings
Fresh Plums
Plum Tart
Apple Turnovers
Raspberry Jam
Mulled Cider
Roast Beets
Venison Tenderloin
Braised Rabbit
Black Bean Soup
Roasted Garlic
Cranberry Bar Cookies
Buckwheat Pancakes
Scrambled Eggs W/Mushrooms
Apple Galette
Fresh Apple Cider @ The Mill
Spicy Muffins
Carrot Cake
Swedish Meatballs
Chili w/Cornbread
Pumpkin Bread
Honeybaked Ham
Chai Tea
Apple Cider Donuts
Baked Sweet Potatoes
Pot Roast
Butternut Squash Soup
Braised Pork Belly
Pumpkin Waffles
Apple Crisp
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Acorn Squash w/ Cinnamon and Maple Syrup
 Bouf Bourguignon
Cranberry Coffee Cake
Concord Grapes
Goat Cheese Cheesecake
Pumpkin Fudge


What would make your list?





 

No comments:

Post a Comment