"She refused to be bored, chiefly because she wasn't boring." Zelda Fitzgerald

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Potato Blossom Queen


Our garden is lush and full of growing and leafing and beginning to churn out genuine vegetables. I am always amazed that it happens every year by the simple act of planting. Dirt magic for sure. Right now the potatoes are growing like gangbusters and they have just begun to bloom in frilly clusters.


Potato blossoms are so incredibly pretty, every one dangling like an earring, little violet shooting stars in clusters. I'd love to paint some eventually. (Note to Self) Every time I see potato blossoms I think about the random fact I heard somewhere about how Marie Antoinette wore them in her hair.

Archduchess Maria Antonia of Austria, the late...
Archduchess Maria Antonia of Austria, the later Queen Marie Antoinette of France (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Somehow I can completely see them on her. They're just frothy enough to go with her aesthetic...still there's something downright amusing about the humble nature of the plant coupled with her royal, and exalted titles and positions.

I've read about the rolling potato fields of Maine and Ireland and I also think about them right now. I know it isn't the most normal travel dream but I'd love to see them all in bloom some year. They  must be incredible, all full of pale purple blossoms, in row upon row, as far as you can see. In the meantime, no reason to let Marie have a monopoly on self decoration!


Photobucket
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment