"She refused to be bored, chiefly because she wasn't boring." Zelda Fitzgerald

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Kids Capsule Wardrobe

Minimalism marches on! Today I made up capsule wardrobes for each of my children. I spent the whole day washing their things, pulling things out of storage, examining shirts for stains and pants for knee holes and stacking up things for Goodwill and neatly culling down the pile to keep. They are growing like crazy, a couple of them going up a size this spring plus the season is changing which necessitates a wardrobe swap.

I am keeping some things that the boys don't "need" right now and am saving them in storage as back-ups. Ahem....blue jeans anyone? (If you have or know boys and you haven't read it...go check out this hilarious meme.) Otherwise, I have weeded things down to a nice stash of useable but not overkill essentials for  every child. Bear in mind that I do a load of laundry every day and don't wait until "Wash Day" to do everything at once which allows for fewer than a weeks worth of certain things.

Here's what I kept:


  • 2 pairs of jeans
  • 1-2 pairs of other pants (khakis or cords)
  • 4-6 pairs of shorts
  • 5 t-shirts
  • 1-2 tank tops
  • 2-4 collared shirts
  • 1 flannel
  • 1 sweatshirt
  • 3-4 pajama sets
  • 1 swimsuit
  • 7 pairs of socks
  • 7-10 pairs of underwear
  • 4 white undershirts
  • 2 pairs of shoes

Everything else went into storage in my backroom (labelled by size) or into the Goodwill pile (taking that out tomorrow for donation, yay!!!!) or to the cousin box to send off as hand-me-downs. 

Can I even explain to you lovely people the high I get from trimming down my belongings? Whew! I want to sell everything I own and give to the poor like crazy when I start culling down my stash. I can't believe how much my stuff owns me and how weighed down and oppressed I feel by all of it. I feel positively gleeful about having less, every, single, time. Goodwill loves me. 


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment